It was quite a morning.

Andrew was sick, really sick.  And we were socked in, there was an additional foot of fresh snow.  We would have to shovel ourselves out,  and there was no way for anyone to get in.

We talked with the Department of Children and Families and they did not know when Susan might be coming to us.  She was in court.

She was in court all day.

She did not come to us until almost 5:00.

Luckily by that time Andrew was feeling better, the plow guy had plowed us out, and my amazing husband shoveled a path to our door.

It was a first for us in many ways.  This is our first time having a teen in our new home.  It is our first time having a long-term placement.  And it is our first time having a teen and a baby at the same time.

It was a first for Susan too, it is her first time in a foster home.

We do our best to recognize that this day has already been a difficult day for our guest . . . we have found that most often they want time alone before they want to answer any questions or get to know us.  Susan was no different.  She was so relieved when I asked her if she wanted to take some time to unpack.

She is shy, but not so shy that she didn’t ask for what she most wanted . . . to be able to call her friends . . . and to use a computer to chat with her friends.


Oh thirteen, I remember you well.

She did have dinner with us.  She did not eat her vegetables.  I let it go.  She has had a horrendous day.

She did sit down to some family time with us and she was great.  She was slow to ask for anything, but she did finally ask for chocolate.  I showed her our stash.  She took a handful of chocolates to her room.

No vegetables, chocolates, unlimited phone and computer.  We may be looking like the worst parents ever.

But for today, for today she gets to take care of herself in ways that make her feel ok, at thirteen.

And when I did visit with her in her room she had a journal out and she had been writing in it.

I am so grateful.

We are going to be ok.